Camping, Backpacking & Hiking - Recent Questions, Troubleshooting & Support
Why my lantern want stay lit.
Is this a battery powered lantern (not gas)?
Usually this is caused by old or weak batteries. The light can work for a while, then when the voltage drops too low the light turns off. The battery voltage then rises again and the light can turn on again for a bit. Replace with new batteries.
Sometimes this is caused by bad battery connections, make sure they are very clean.
18 hours ago
I have a Vector HID
Just a guess here. Sounds like the battery might have been left uncharged for a while and could need to be replaced. Lead acid batteries need to be kept fully charged as much as possible to prevent them failing (the chemistry begins to change quite quickly and irreversibly if the voltage gets too low, and they will then not recharge).
Top-up charge every couple of months if not being used to prevent self discharge from causing this. Always recharge promptly after use.
If you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage, should be above about 12.4 v to prevent deterioration. Voltage should only drop slightly when light is switched on if the battery is good. Charger might be self protecting if battery is faulty.
These batteries are reasonably priced and very common, be careful to connect the right way round if you are replacing or you can destroy the electronics!
You might be able to connect a new battery (observe polarity!) to test it works before you buy. Check that the batt voltage rises slightly when the charger is connected to make sure the problem is not caused by a charging fault.
Vector Power On...
18 hours ago
Ozark trail mini lantern. I have replaced the 3a batteries and it still will not light.
Check for reversed batteries and bad battery connections.
Often the problem is corrosion / bad contacts at the battery terminals, especially if used batteries have been left in the device for a while, even if the batteries have not obviously leaked.
Scraping and/or careful cleaning of the device battery terminals will usually fix this. If corrosion is visible then scrub the terminals thoroughly with a bit of vinegar and then strong baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) solution to neutralise alkali and then rinse well with clean water, then dry. Don't let liquid get inside the works, or if that's unavoidable you might have to dismantle and rinse out then dry.
20 hours ago
Not finding what you are looking for?