Question about 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
I am working on a 1997 blazer four door. The dome light stays on all the time. i have replaced both front door plunger switches, the dome light on/off wheel and the interior lights and accessory module under the dash and all fuses are good. the dome lights still won't turn off unless i unplug the fuse. I have been told that it could be a shorted wire somewhere but have checked all the obvious places. I am quite good at fixing cars, but wiring is my weak spot. I don't know what else to do. any help would be greatly appreciated
Been having a problem with the dome lights on a 99 chevy blazer. Still can't figure out what the problem is. There is a dome light overide button located under the dimmer wheel. When I push the overide button in the dome light goes off, but when I open any of the doors the dome light will not come on. When the overide button is out the dome light stays on all the time and will not turn off even though every door is closed. I checked all the pushbuttons and everything tests good. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?
Posted on Jan 24, 2010
The door switches may need adjusting; but yes, it could be a short on the NEGATIVE side.
1. Need at least two persons.
2. open two doors and manually push both plungers. Does dome light go off?
3. close one door, open a different door (2 doors open)
4. Repeat plunger test.
5. You must test two doors at a time.
6. If you can get as many persons as you have doors (including the tailgate); then you can test all plungers at the same time.
If this doesn't solve it; then you have a "negative" short:
1. One of the door wires is corroded. Remove each door switch and tug each switch wire out; one door at a time to see which one causes the light to stay on or turn off. (Leave each door open with the switch / wire hanging out as you test all doors). Do not put them back in or let them touch "ground" during the test.
2. The wire near the dome assembly may be corroded. Remove the dome assembly and let it hang out. The light should go OUT when all door switches / doors are closed.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Sep 04, 2009
Is your back hatch open?
Posted on Sep 08, 2009
My back hatch was closed, but not tight enough to trip the light switch, therefore, the lights stayed on all night and I had to charge my battery to start up...
Lesson learned - always make sure the hatch closes tight..
Posted on Oct 16, 2014
My driver door lock is hard to unlock with the key so will that cause the light to stay on?
Posted on Apr 09, 2014
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 14, 2014 | 1997 Buick Skylark
Nov 18, 2012 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
Apr 22, 2011 | 1997 Ford Taurus
Dec 14, 2010 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
Sep 16, 2010 | 1998 Buick LeSabre
Dec 13, 2009 | 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer
Aug 03, 2009 | Chevrolet Blazer Cars & Trucks
Jul 04, 2009 | Chevrolet Blazer Cars & Trucks
Feb 19, 2017 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
12,228 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!