Question about Chrysler Sebring
Probably you can add the airbag to the pack of non-working things. This parts fail all at once when the steering wheel clockspring is broken. That is a common problem , here a testimonial.
The role of the clockspring is ensuring electrical connection to devices linked to steering wheel commands and controls while you turn the steering wheel.
Before replacing the clock spring, check the fuses and the connection to fuse box, a bad grounding in there can also cause the problem, even if this is far less common.
The clock spring replacement is not expensive, but it is quite complicate for an unexperienced user, I suggest having it done by a mechanic. Charge is about two hours work plus part.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative remote cable. Wait two minutes for the capacitor to discharge.
2. Remove the steering wheel.
3. Carefully feed all wires through the steering wheel armature to avoid damaging wires. When replacing a deployed Driver Airbag, a new clock spring must be installed.
4. Remove multi-function switch. Refer to Electrical, Lamps/Lighting - Exterior, Multi-Function Switch, Removal.
5. Remove the clock spring by lifting the top lock housing latches up slightly to guide it over the lock housing. The clock spring cannot be serviced and must be replaced if defective, damaged, or the vehicle has sustained an impact where the front airbags were deployed.
If reinstalling a clock spring, make sure the clock spring is centered by performing the clock spring centering procedure. Refer to Electrical, Restraints, Clock Spring, Standard Procedure - Clock Spring Centering.
1. Align the top locking tab with the slot on the lock housing. Gently push into place.
2. Install the multi-function switch and tighten to 1.5 to 2.5 Nm (14 to 22 in. lbs.) torque. Refer to Electrical, Lamps/Lighting - Exterior, Multi-Function Switch, Installation.
3. Carefully route the wires through the hole in the steering wheel armature and install the steering wheel.
4. Route the speed control wires through guides located inside the steering wheel back cover. Connect the speed control wires to switches and install switches.
5. Connect horn lead to the airbag mounting bracket.
6. Connect the two yellow airbag leads (black and grey connectors) to the Driver Airbag and push secondary latch into place. Ensure the wires do not get pinched during installation.
* THIS SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX UNIT. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE BEFORE BEGINNING AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENT REMOVAL OR INSTALLATION PROCEDURES. THIS WILL DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
* ALLOW SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE FOR TWO MINUTES BEFORE REMOVING AIRBAG COMPONENTS.
* DO NOT PLACE AN INTACT UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG FACE DOWN ON A SOLID SURFACE, THE AIRBAG WILL PROPEL INTO THE AIR IF ACCIDENTALLY DEPLOYED AND COULD RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY. WHEN CARRYING OR HANDLING AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG, THE TRIM SIDE OF THE AIRBAG SHOULD BE POINTING TOWARDS THE BODY TO MINIMIZE POSSIBILITY OF INJURY IF ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT OCCURS.
* REPLACE AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS WITH MOPAR. REPLACEMENT PARTS. SUBSTITUTE PARTS MAY APPEAR INTERCHANGEABLE, BUT INTERNAL DIFFERENCES MAY RESULT IN INFERIOR OCCUPANT PROTECTION.
* WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, RUBBER GLOVES, AND LONG SLEEVED CLOTHING WHEN CLEANING POWDER RESIDUE FROM VEHICLE AFTER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. POWDER RESIDUE EMITTED FROM A DEPLOYED AIRBAG CAN CAUSE SKIN IRRITATION. FLUSH AFFECTED AREA WITH COOL WATER IF IRRITATION IS EXPERIENCED. IF NASAL OR THROAT IRRITATION IS EXPERIENCED, EXIT THE VEHICLE FOR FRESH AIR UNTIL THE IRRITATION CEASES. IF IRRITATION CONTINUES, SEE A PHYSICIAN.
* DO NOT USE A REPLACEMENT AIRBAG THAT IS NOT IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING. IMPROPER DEPLOYMENT AND PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT.
* THE FACTORY INSTALLED FASTENERS, SCREWS AND BOLTS USED TO FASTEN AIRBAG COMPONENTS ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. DO NOT USE SUBSTITUTE FASTENERS, USE ONLY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT FASTENERS LISTED IN THE PARTS CATALOG WHEN FASTENER REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED.
* AIRBAGS SHOULD BE STORED IN A COOL DRY LOCATION AWAY FROM AIRBAG FACING UP, A PREMATURE DEPLOYMENT CAN RESULT.
* THE DRIVER AIRBAG TRIM COVER AND HORN SWITCH ASSEMBLY ARE THE ONLY SERVICEABLE PARTS OF THE DRIVER AIRBAG. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE OTHER PARTS WITHIN AS THEY ARE NOT SERVICEABLE.
* NEVER DISASSEMBLE THE PASSENGER AIRBAG, THERE ARE NO SERVICEABLE PARTS WITHIN.
* WHEN THE FRONT AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED, THE TENSIONER WILL HAVE DEPLOYED ALSO AND MUST BE REPLACED.
Posted on Sep 27, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 24, 2017 | 2002 Chrysler Sebring
Oct 05, 2013 | Chrysler Sebring Cars & Trucks
Apr 17, 2013 | 2006 Chrysler Sebring
Feb 09, 2013 | 2001 Chrysler Sebring
Sep 27, 2010 | 2002 Chrysler Sebring
Apr 02, 2009 | 2004 Ford F150
149 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: