Question about 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
1996 Suzuki VS1400GLP. I have a problem with the bike stalling out. If I don't give it gas it will just stall. While slowing down for a stop sign or a traffic light if I don't keep giving it gas while downshifting it just stalls out. Even after riding the bike for over 20 or 30 minutes so I don't think it can be just the engine being cold. Any solutions or things to try? @
Hi, Nathaniel and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. Failed main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Failed system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Failed ignition coil, stator, magneto, ignition/electronic module.
7. Failed CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Throttle cables and or idle speed improperly adjusted hot idle speed should be 950 RPM to 1000 RPM.
9. Faulty neutral, side stand or clutch lever safety switch.
10. Faulty or corroded kill switch.
11. Accelerator pump damaged or not working.
12. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
13. Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
14. Fuel tank empty.
15. The gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked, loosen gas cap and go for a test ride.
16. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
17. Vacuum line from intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
18. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
19. Petcock clogged or damaged.
20. Lean angle switch is faulty or needs adjustment.
21. Catastrophic engine failure, perform a compression test.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Suzuki Intruder VS1400 Service Manual
Suzuki VS1400 Owner Manual
Posted on Mar 10, 2019
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
check exhaust gasket for leak, check spark plug, air filter,valve tappet clearance adjustment, and intake boot for leak,if ok do compression test142-203 psi. if ok carburator may need cleaning.
Posted on Feb 20, 2009
Make sure your air filter is clean, check the fuel filter and tank for contaminants.
More off the wall , the rev limiter may be faulty, is it a certain speed or a given rev range that causes the shutdown?
Look at the air filter first!!
Good Luck, Marshall
Posted on Apr 29, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 11, 2018 | 2000 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Jul 19, 2017 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Jul 06, 2017 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Feb 26, 2013 | 1991 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Oct 18, 2011 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
May 18, 2011 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
May 04, 2011 | 1995 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Jan 30, 2010 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Jul 20, 2009 | 1993 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
Jun 06, 2009 | 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder
97 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: