Question about 1984 Honda GL 1200 Interstate Gold Wing
Will not start backfires through the air cleaner and exhaust just bought bike been setting for years replaced fuel checked spark drained carb bowls and installed a new battery seems to want to fire then backfires through the left side of the exhaust and through air cleaner?@
Hi, Bill if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will not idle unless the choke is full on and run poorly then stall, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition and in the future pour in a bottle of fuel stabilizer and injector cleaner for you FI folks at least 2 times a year and before storage.
1. If your battery was 2-3 years old when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging the battery remove the leads and let it sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a voltmeter, you should have 12.5 volts or more, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper "LOAD" test on the battery and replace as necessary, you may have 12.5 volts or better but little or zero amps, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and the battery needs to be replaced.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank if it rusty there is a cheap and easy fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYr_7SwGms
5. Remove and inspect your air cleaner paper elements that are not oil soaked can be cleaned with a soft brush and low pressure compressed air, oil-soaked elements must be replaced. Gause mesh and foam elements can be cleaned by soaking them in a container big enough to completely cover them with a solution of 1 gallon of water and 1 oz. of Dawn dishwashing liquid for small and medium size elements, for monster size double the formula and let soak for at least one hour then rinse with warm water shake off excess and let air dry, "WARNING" do not use compressed air as this will embed micro-sized dirt and road grime and destroy the mesh pattern and stretch foam elements out of shape just squeeze it like a sponge and let air dry, use a fan if you're in a hurry. When completely dry spray a very fine mist of air filter oil evenly around the whole element.
6. Remove the carburetors, disassemble and decontaminate with a "CARB DIP" or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Check intake manifold and seals for leaks and craks.
8. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove, clean, and inspect fuel and vacuum lines and replace as necessary.
9. Replace spark plugs with new ones and check for spark.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
How To Get Stored Motorcycle Running Motorcycle Repair
Honda GL1200 Owners Workshop Manual
Honda GL1200 Aspencade 1985 Owner Manual
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Nov 06, 2017
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
You need to rebuild or clean the carb or carbs completely pay close attention to the low speed circuit make sure its clear.
Posted on Oct 27, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 10, 2018 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Nov 12, 2015 | GAS Motorcycles
Oct 27, 2012 | 1984 Honda GL 1200 Interstate Gold Wing
Apr 03, 2011 | 1997 Honda CBR 1100 XX Super blackbird
Jul 12, 2009 | 1987 kawasaki VN 750 Vulcan
Jun 26, 2009 | 2001 Buell Blast
Apr 11, 2009 | 2005 Honda CRF 250 X
Apr 10, 2009 | 2000 Buell Blast
Apr 01, 2009 | 2005 Bajaj Pulsar 150
Mar 24, 2009 | 2006 kawasaki KX 450 F
20 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: