Question about Harley Davidson FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic Motorcycles
HD FLSTC 2003: I was on the expressway doing steady 70mph and suddenly the engine quit, basically coasting. I was able to pull over, shut off ignition, and restart engine with no evidence anything was wrong. I rode home later (local roads) with no problems. Oil was a little low, so I topped off. Where should I start looking? I'm assuming I didn't accidentally hit the engine switch since I was just riding steady in my lane, but I'm not ruling it out yet. Besides, would the bike coast as if in neutral? Seems it would have engine-braked, which it did not. Thanks for your time.
Hi Edwin, the following applies to carbureted also fuel injected models and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or damaged battery, 9 volts or lower.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. Faulty main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Faulty system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Faulty ignition coil, ignition/electronic module.
7. Faulty CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corrroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
9. . Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
10. Fuel tank empty.
11. Gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked.
12. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
13. Vacuum line from intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
14. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
For more information about your issue, please visit the websites below, and for specific information or questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. Good luck and have nice day.
Harley Davidson Wiring Diagrams and Schematics
Harley Davidson Manuals Mark Workshop
Harley Check Engine Lamp Diagnostics
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Sep 05, 2015
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 24, 2017 | 2006 Buick Lucerne
Dec 07, 2012 | 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jun 24, 2012 | 1997 Cadillac Catera
May 20, 2012 | 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Jan 06, 2011 | 2001 Ford Focus
Nov 10, 2010 | 2003 Harley Davidson FLSTC Heritage...
May 23, 2010 | 2006 Chevrolet Silverado
Jul 12, 2009 | 1999 Suzuki Vitara
196 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: