As for unlocking iPad, there are several ways you can resort to. Just follow one of them as below shows.
If you've neither synced with iTunes nor set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to wipe your iPad to factory setting to remove the password, which means you'll suffer losing all your data on iPad and get it as a new one.
Please pay attention there is a slight difference in putting different models of iPad into recovery mode.
iPad mini/iPad pro
- 1. Turn off your iPad Air, press and hold the Home button.
- 2. While holding the Home key, connect the USB cable to the device. Wait until the Apple logo appears and keep holding the Home button for few more seconds.
- 3. Continue holding the Home button until the iTunes logo appears.
- 1. Connect your iPad to your computer or laptop and open iTunes.
- 2. While your device is connected, force to restart it.
- 3. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
Now you have entered the recovery mode, and
1. When you see the option to Restore and Update, click it.
2. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.
For more methods, check: How to Unlock iPad?