That GX280 is today 14 years old
and came new with XP right>
still stuck at XP
? if yes, doom is all there is.
XP is (as you learned) a huge virus magnet.(worse every day)
some were built with windows 2000, win2k, hopeless extreme...
windows xp recovery or restore fails because sure the recover software is corrupted and infected too, so erasing HDD is the only path as your discovered. (page 30 in your manual at dell will fail)
but not the dell disk install same page.
BTW , ive never seen an XP PC not infected, ever..... so..... bingo.
older post but and others will find this useful.
There are many pitfalls to OS installs I will bullet them.
- The HDD is bad, (but if only infected it will be erased first)
- Your PC has OEM COA license from Dell for MS windows.
- Using most Microsoft install media will fail using your COA.
- W7 will fail, W10 used to work this way but not now.
- You failed to buy your DELL windows media kit long ago so is lost or gone or, never bought.
- that means you have 2 choices, buy new windows 7 or 10 or run linux, I am sure you will not wont to run free linux. Ubuntu v17
- SO buy windows 10-32b, (say) from MS.com and install it.
- During the install , pick custom or advance setup and delete all partitions. click CUSTOM now. see links below.
- then do as it says here.
- then do the full install, as documented at microsoft dot com.
- end story but not all pit falls,
- Pit fall 1 is HDD is bad, fails Crystaldiskinfo , app.
- or fails Linux demo boot, run disktests and fails.
- on dead pc, I run this.
- if the C6 (198.) is not ZERO, the HDD IS NO GOOD AT ALL.
- All drives (most) end up like this, runs but has no spare sectors left and can no longer self heal itself, and is a bad HDD.
- Better is to upgrade to SSD, for sure , you will never go back to HDD ever again I promise.!!!