A factory data reset may help with a blank or frozen screen, apps crashing or freezing, keypad/touchscreen problems, can't hear, device making noises, can't make or receive calls, and device won't sync.
Perform a factory data reset only if absolutely necessary as it removes all data including:
- GoogleTM account
- System and app data
- App settings
- Downloaded apps
- Media (Music, pictures and videos, etc.)
- Power the device off.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and then briefly press the Power button to power on the device.
- Release the Volume Up button and the Power button when the Samsung logo displays on the screen.
- Use the Volume Up button to select the small android with an arrow icon.
- Press the Volume down button.
- Use the Volume button to select Recovery Console then press the Power button.
- From the Recovery Console screen, use the Volume button to select Wipe Data / Factory Reset then press the Power button.
- Use the Volume button to select Yes then press the Power button.
- Once the Wipe Data / Factory Reset has completed, use the Volume button to select Reboot System Now then press the Power button.
Allow several minutes for the factory data reset and reboot processes to complete.
To set up the device after completing the factory data reset, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.
Related Topic: Factory Data Reset